Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Can't believe 30 years have pasted since the tragic death of John Lennon. On my pilgrimage to Strawberry Fields via the Path train and the number 2 subway to 72nd St. today I reflected on what this meant to me. As a seven year old in Bloomfield, NJ, I literally had to plead with my parents to stay up and let me watch The Beatles on 'The Ed Sullivan Show' that was Feb 1964. With my Pajama 'booties' on. You know the pajamas that came with the boots attached, it was almost like Santa Claus coming to town. I remember me and my brothers boppin' to "Twist and Shout', 'Please Please Me', and 'I Want To Hold Your Hand'. Anyway it changed my life as I feel it changed the world on how we perceived music. Then came Rubber Soul, Revolver, and then the Album that really changed the world, 'Sergeant Peppers'. The rest is history. But must say my favorite is the raw 'White Album'. Amazing how only about 10 years of The Beatles change life as we saw it. What a time for music, life, and freedom. Wouldn't change it for anything. Best concert ever was the roof top of the Apple building for their farewell. Let It Be.
As I sat on the circle today as everyone was singing along, some knew the words and some didn't. It didn't matter. Even the cold December air seemed to cast a gentle warmth over Strawberry Fields. Certainly a day to reflect on our own lives, and celebrate a gentile soul who brought so much of himself with love, peace and understanding. Thank you John Lennon for your inspiration in my life and I'm sure in many lives you touch through your music and love.
Photo was taken by me today, You can see the whole Event on my web site at:
GV Photographics.com/Events tab. Enjoy this Youtube gem, 'Jealous Guy'

Remembering John Lennon.
With Love,
Gerry, GV Photographics

1 comment: